Sunday, March 7, 2010

Um, that just happened

I started off this weekend pretty pumped to get this video made. My plan was to film the process of making a viral video. The video was going to be over the song livin in dub town that my brother and his friends made in high school. The song lyrics were posted on an earlier post. I had arranged with them to get together and rerecord the song, or at least act like we were to get some film shot. Then we were going to go and film today in wamego. The filming was going to be dual natured. One part was filming them rapping the song and screwing around in town. The other was a 'behind the scenes' type film where I showed how the whole video was actually produced. After we were done filming the video I was going to set them down and do a mock interview of the rapper persona's that they were going to be taking on. Then I was wanting to do a more in depth interview of them as themselves talking about the song and relevant questions pertaining to small town life.

That all just fell apart a little bit ago. They all said they would meet me this morning. We got together and I started to tell them the plan for the day. In the middle of that they kind of did the whole well dude we dont want to do it anymore. They also dont want me to use the song for the project anymore. We dont think the project will be any good. We dont want ourselves acting ridiculous online and they didnt want to be in a song with so many 'curse' words that could look bad later in life. So I dont know. Im currently trying to convince the guy that wrote the song and made the beat to still help, but I dont know if its going to pan out.

Anyone have any suggestions for me????
I had planned and arranged everyone to meet up today to make this video. We were going to rerecord it so I could tape the process of them making the song.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm...that's tough. It seems like the trend in their concerns is mainly that they are worried about how they'll be portrayed? Would they still do it if they were able to call (most) all of the shots? So, if they could have an awesome music video put together, how would they want it done? I know that would be hard from your point of view--since it is *your* project, but maybe some sort of compromise could be met?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see their concern; but I also can't imagine the nature of the video or the role it will play could have the impact they fear it does. Is it possible to continue with just your brother and the song, without his friends? Or is he not interested in participating anymore either? I hope that you find a way to work things out with them and continue with the project, it's got so much potential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about bringing in "extras" or actors? The end goal is a viral video...right? If they would let you use the song...could the video be made with actors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally agree with Davidwes! I was just thinking that if they would give you the rights to the song then you could find people to help you make this project work.
    I don't see how they would care about the song since they are pretty much not wanting it associated with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Given that the end project is a viral video, there is another fun way to do this. Have you seen the Rat Pack mashup of "So Sentimental" and the trend that followed? Here's the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtRQsCgYmtc then some kids from Brooklyn redid it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ywFh2AZLg and then San Francisco
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzr7P5gqSI

    Could Wamego or Manhattan be next? Think how awesome it could be with all the icons of Manhattan! The Manhattan-Hollywood sign. The ball-drop (we could green-screen it in). etc. etc.

    Or you can make any other viral video you can think up. Given your research, you must have some ideas of different genres that work. Do you have a funny cat?

    ReplyDelete